Publishers can force a DOI to be an alias of another DOI if the DOIs are not in conflict.
Extreme care MUST be taken when using this feature. Normally two DOIs are put into a prime/alias pair when their metadata is the same and a conflict is created. In this case a metadata query will find both DOIs but because of the forced aliasing will return the prime DOI. If an aliased DOI has very different metadata than a primary DOI, the result may be a false positive to the query caller.
To force an alias between two DOIs, create a text file as described below and upload to the Crossref System:
- Create the .txt file with tab-separated pairs of DOIs as follows:
- Log in to the Crossref system.
- Click the Submissions tab.
- Click the Upload tab, if necessary.
- Next to FileName, select Choose File
- Locate and select the force alias file.
- Select Type Conflict Management.
- Click Upload.
Removing a forced prime and/or alias
Only DOIs that have been aliased need to be un-aliased. Supplying op=unalias allows you to unalias previously forced aliases.
Please sign in to leave a comment.