Crossref Members are required to create outbound DOI links within their references, meaning members must add DOI links (when available) to the reference list for journal articles deposited with Crossref. Reference linking for other content types is encouraged but not required.
Creating reference links
1. Query for DOIs: The first step is to retrieve DOIs for all available references. Several different query interfaces are available:
- Simple Text Query form: cut-and-paste reference lists into a web form. This is a manual interface suitable for low volume querying.
- Simple Text Query upload: upload reference lists as .txt files and receive query results via email. This is a manual interface suitable for low volume querying.
- XML API: XML formatted using the Crossref query schema may be submitted to our system as individual requests or as a batch upload. XML querying allows for significant control over query execution and results, and is the preferred method of querying for most members.
2. Link to DOIs in your references: After DOIs have been retrieved via querying, members must display and link DOIs in their references. Links to Crossref DOIs should comply with our DOI Display Guidelines.