We support several versions of our metadata deposit schema as well as XSD schema for looking up and retrieving DOIs and metadata. A quick reference is available.
Metadata deposit schema are used to deposit all metadata with Crossref. If you are beginning to deposit with Crossref, you should use the most recent version (currently 4.4.2) to ensure you are able to take advantage of all metadata deposit options.
We currently support versions 4.3.0 - 4.4.2 of our main metadata schema. Schema are backwards compatible with the exception of deposits for Standards, which may only be deposited with version 4.3.6 and above.
We also have a resource schema that may be used to append some pieces of metadata to an existing record. The most recent version supports all metadata deposit options.
Recommended metadata deposit schema:
- crossref4.4.2.xsd: adds support for Pending Publication, DUL, multiple dissertation authors, abstracts for all content types, support for JATS 1.2 abstracts, and adds acceptance_date element to journal article, books, book chapter, and conference paper
Recommended resource deposit schema:
- crossref4.4.1.xsd: adds support for peer reviews
- crossref4.4.0.xsd: adds support for posted content
- crossref4.3.7.xsd: adds support for linked clinical trials, journal deposits without ISSNs
- crossref4.3.6.xsd: expanded support for Standards
- crossref4.3.5.xsd: supports relationships between DOIs and other objects
- crossref4.3.4.xsd: add archive_location option, change name element to depositor_name
- crossref4.3.3.xsd: modifications for Standards
- crossref4.3.2.xsd: adds support for license metadata
- crossref4.3.1.xsd: adds support for CrossMark, funding data, ORCID
- crossref4.3.0.xsd: revisions to handling of books