We support a range of tools and APIs to help you get metadata (and identifiers) out of our system. Some query interfaces will return only one match, and only if fairly strict requirements are met. These interfaces may be used to populate citations with persistent identifiers. Other interfaces will return a range of results and may be used to retrieve a variety of metadata records or match metadata when metadata, DOIs, or other identifiers (such as ORCID, ISSN, ISBN, funder identifier) are provided.
- Metadata search: any results containing the entered search terms will be returned. Search by full citation, title (or fragments of a title), authors, ISSN, ORCID, DOI (to retrieve metadata) and more.
- Simple text query: cut-and-paste your reference list into the form and retrieve exact DOI matches.
- REST API: a RESTFUL API that supports a wide range of facets and filters. Results are returned by default in JSON, XML results are an option. This API is currently publicly available with no login or token required.
- XML API: the XML API will return a DOI that best fits the metadata supplied in the query. This API is suitable for automated population of citations with DOIs as the results are accurate and do not need evaluation. This API requires a member or free query account.
- OpenURL: used mostly by libraries but available to members or with a free query account.
- OAI-PMH: we provide a subscription-only OAI-PMH interface that may be used to retrieve sets of metadata records (subscribers only).
- GetResolvedRefs: retrieve DOIs matched with deposited references (members only).
- Deposit Harvester: retrieve DOIs and metadata for a given member (members only).